Fire fighting is not easy. It is the kind of job filled with hazards. Getting inside a burning building to save a person trapped may be heroic but it is not as easy as it looks. There is a great chance that you too can suffocate from the fumes. You also have chances of getting burned or injured in the process. It takes a lot of skills and abilities to become a fire fighter. There is a calling for proper training and conditioning of the body. One has to be agile, smart and dedicated, to do this job professionally.
Since not all of us are enthusiastic with the job description of a firefighter, we all have an opportunity to become fire fighters ourselves. A simple reading about fire and fighting it can be done overnight. You can become a master by going through special modules and achieve foundation in order to deal with uncontrollable fire. After you have gone through the different information, you can fight fire only if you are sure of what you are doing. In addition, you get to be one without wearing the red suit and riding on the fire truck. Your primary tool is just the different types of types of fire extinguishers.
Doing fire fighting can be done in cases of emergency. If there is a simple outbreak of fire, you can stop the flames on your own without calling for help, if you think you know how. To be well equipped in cases where the need arises for fire fighting, you need to do the following items:
1. You need to understand how fire works and how it starts. To have a simple explanation about it, all you have to do is to read about the fire tetrahedron.
2. Understand the jargons used in firefighting. Just like computers, they have their own universal language. They have their own signs and symbols used. Therefore, it is important to learn these things to identify special instructions on devices used readily. This will also help you understand the safety precautions needed to be applied in case you want to face the problem on your own.
3. You also have to know the different classifications of fire. This way you will know what can be the possible sources. This is part of your assessment. You also have to check on the surroundings and know what other sources that could worsen the fire. This way you can prevent it from getting contact with the flames.
4. It is also important for you to know the different types of fire extinguisher because they have different indications. They also have different agents used. Therefore, to eliminate unwanted fire effectively, you need to be extra careful on the extinguisher used. Sometimes, a wrong agent used can lead to re-ignition of flames.
5. You also have to learn how to use the device. They have a special code for which is an acronym: P-A-S-S. This stands for pull, aim, squeeze and sweep. It is a very simple instruction that could get you fire fighting in no time.