The biggest risk which a person can have is a bad accident within two years of passing the driving test. Here are some useful tips that can be followed to reduce the risks.
1. One the driving test is passed, it will be quite strange to find passenger seat at the front. It would be better to take someone along for support when driving for the first time. A ‘P’ plate must be displayed.
2. When one has to drive alone, the roads which are familiar are best to start with. A road map should also be kept in case if one gets lost.
3. When one gets the self confidence, drive like one owns the car but not the road.
4. As one has learn to drive and passed the driving test by sticking to the rules. This habit has to be followed to stay safe. This will also keep other safe on the road.
5. Quick reactions will not only stop one from having an accident. This will give plenty of time to respond to problems ahead.
6. One should drive in a way that suits his or her ability and the traffic conditions. Driving fast in wrong places will never impress anybody but in fact create problems.
7. It is better to take plenty of sleep before going on a long journey. Taking breaks is also good for restoring the alertness. Radio can be listened for traffic reports and one should make sure if there is enough fuel.
8. It is distracting to fiddle with the radio while driving. Also playing the sound system in a loud volume is not good that can stop one from hearing the sirens of an emergency vehicle.
9. Mates can be given a lift but it must be remembered that they should be in control of the vehicle. Only driver has to be in control.
10. One should be alert but using eyes but the passengers must not be scared by turning the head away from the road while talking to anyone of them.
11. Taking motorway tuition is good and one should seriously think about their advanced driver training. Research reveals that it makes better drivers.
12. The laws of physics are not suspended in case of driving a four wheel drive motor. One can still lose control if you ask too much about it.
13. Valuables should not be left in the car where they can be seen inviting a break in.
14. Space and considerable distance must always be maintained from aggressive drivers. One cannot afford get involved in any trouble.
15. The lights must be switched on as well whenever one needs to turn the windscreen wipers on.
16. The foot controls must be used very gently incase one is driving on a slippery or loose surface.
17. Taking drugs and driving is just like drinking alcohol while driving. The answer will definitely be ‘NO’.
18. Professional advice is needed before driving abroad.
19. Some tools must be kept in the car.
20. If one is driving alone (especially women), then one should plan the journey and let someone know about it. Following items must be carried like maps, pen, paper, first aid kit, small change, torch, warm clothing/blanket and a fire extinguisher. A mobile phone should also be carried only for emergencies as well as a personal attack alarm.
21. One should not panic if the vehicle breaks down. There are more friendly people on the road than those who want to harm. If it is possible than areas where there are houses, street lights and telephones are better places to pull up. If one is at a remote area than staying inside the car will be less risky. Mobile phone can be used for help. In case a strangers offers help, then its better to note their car number and they should be talked with through closed window they should be sent to get help.